Friday, July 6, 2012

Starting Over

Remember how I said I was gonna keep up with this blog?  Way to go there Meghan......To be honest I'm not entirely sure what propelled me to get back on here and actually punch this here blog out but here I am..trying to string together some of my thoughts in the hopes that someone will read it and maybe get something useful out of it.  I think there is an art about words and how people use them.  While I'm remembering why I started this blog I wanna say that the original purpose still remains: to help people.  I've been through countless valleys that have lead me to this beautiful mountain top and I want to help as many people as possible.  If anyone actually kept up with the 2 posts I actually made....my deepest apologies for keeping you waiting on this one.  I truly do want to keep up with this, and by that I mean make more than 1 post a year haha.

One reason I wanted to fire up this blog again is because I came across some pretty blog worthy material that got me thinking.  It's Friday night and I'm sitting here in my bed watching a 20/20 episode about Heaven.  I'm just gonna throw this out there...some people are crazy.  I don't know how this will come across to some people, but why do we try so hard to figure Heaven out?  Why do we have to know its location? Why do we have to know what it looks like? Why do we have to know every detail of it?  I'm not saying it's wrong to wander those things, certainly not.  But some people drive themselves insane and spend their whole lives searching for answers they won't get.  One thing keeps going through my head as I watch this;  I keep getting the feeling that there won't be that many people in Heaven.  A lot of the people that call themselves christian's are sadly wrong.  After having said that I feel like I'm judging a lot of people unfairly, so maybe I'm wrong.  But I wanna share a story today that made me think that.....I have a good friend in a band that was trying to get a gig at a certain venue.  The people running the venue wouldn't let them play there because they didn't call themselves a "christian" band and only "christian" bands were allowed to play there.  After telling me the story one of the other band members said, "Aren't christians supposed to be the most accepting kind of people?"  I wanted to defend the venue and ask why it was wrong to have a place solely for christian bands but I didn't say anything.  Because he was right.  Maybe the whole venue issue isn't a big deal but the problem is deeper than that.  Christians do have a bad name and we've given it to ourselves.  I wanna stop right here and say that this blog isn't coming out like I hoped.  Basically I'm saying that many christians today have no clue what Jesus was about.  He loved the crappy, dirty, poor people that are looked down on today.  That statement might be obvious to some but others are still totally oblivious.  I've been reading 1 Corinthians and the other day I read one of the greatest verses I've ever come across: "Take a good look, friends, at who you were when you got called into this life.  I don't see many of the 'brightest and the best' among you, not many influential, not many from high society families.  Isn't it obvious that God deliberately chose men and women that the culture overlooks and exploits and abuses, chose the 'nobodies' to expose the hollow pretensions of the 'somebodies'?"  That was 1 Corinthians 26-31 in the Message translation.  (I love the Message translation with all my heart.  It's a paraphrase translation, not a direct translation, but it makes a lot of things clearer and puts things in simple terms.)  Reading that verse was like getting the wind knocked out of me.  I knew that God's favorites were the scum of the earth but I had never applied that to my own story.  I was far from a God follower.  I was just like them, but God still picked me to represent Him.  I think that's another thing many people don't realize; we are the image of God.  Since God is not physically present on earth himself, we are what His actions and ways would look like.  At least they're supposed to be what God's doings are actually like.
Ya....this blog still didn't turn out how I wanted it to...but hopefully I will redeem myself in future posts.  I wanna leave yall with a nice little quote.  It's my favorite one...
"In the midst of summer, I found there was within me an invincible summer."

No comments:

Post a Comment